The training system MPS 403-1 is designed for training in basic skills and specialist knowledge in the area of automation technology and mechatronics. Taking the form of a miniaturized production line, it also offers an in-depth look into intelligent networking of machines in the production environment, and their work processes. The system consists of three stations: Distributing Pro, Joining, and Sorting Inline. These stations are networked, equipped with several RFID writing and reading heads and intelligent IO-Link-based sensors, and form an autonomous system.
With a web-based software environment around an educational MES system, MPS 403-1 offers a wide range of options for learning about the latest technologies for Industry 4.0. This software environment includes an integrated online store, training content such as IoT retrofitting based on mini control systems, touch panel programming, and artificial intelligence with machine learning algorithms. With training programs supported by augmented reality and clear, pedagogical preparation of all content with extensive training materials, this training system is a core component of any modern MPS-based training solution.
Processing in the training system begins when a production order is entered by means of an intuitive user interface. The first station separates workpieces out of three stacking magazines and then writes data onto the corresponding RFID tags by means of an RFID sensor. Intelligent sensors, such as laser, ultrasonic, and capacitive sensors, supply relevant analog data. The subsequent Joining station reads the RFID tag and refers to the production order to decide whether the workpiece should be fitted with a cover. The third station, Sorting, distributes the workpieces into two chutes or passes them on to additional stations downstream, according to the saved information.
Control and monitoring of the system is performed using a large touch panel and a keyboard. The core of the software environment is an educational MES system, which can be expanded by adding further applications.
MES with Webshop
The MES provides the following services:
- System configuration
- Product configuration
- Order entry and management
- Order tracking
- Order data storage
- Web services for various user groups
An IoT system based on a microcomputer and a webcam offers the students new perspectives for innovative business models by retrofitting existing industrial systems. The latest technologies based on artificial intelligence and machine learning are used.
IO-Link and OPC-UA
The students learn all about intelligent IO-Link-based sensors, get to know their advantages when compared with conventional sensors, and are then able to address, interpret, and service them and integrate them into production systems. The basics of Profinet and OPC-UA are also taught in addition to IO-Link. This gives the students a solid introduction into the most important network-based protocols in automation environments.
The training system teaches how to program touch panels with a structured display of all relevant information. This involves not only the visual presentation of live data from the system, but also ways of controlling and interacting with the system. All workpieces are equipped with RFID tags, giving them a digital product memory. This enables a high level of customization in the production of the individual orders.
Furthermore, the training system includes a range of accessory components. A digital simulation box is available, as well as a digital interface (easyport) and a FluidSIM license. This allows the components to be controlled in a number of different ways, e.g. via a PLC, using the simulation box, or simulation software.
Digital learning support
The training process is supported by augmented reality (AR). AR supplies the students with system data in real time. This, together with QR codes on the individual components of the training system, allows rapid retrieval of relevant technical information for each specific learning unit. The tasks in the training documentation are partly supported and guided using augmented reality.
For the best possible training results, the training system has been supplemented with carefully tailored training materials in the form of e-learning and PDF documents. Through modular use of these materials, the training pathway remains flexible and expandable. This makes it possible to divide up wide-ranging and complex topics into small learning units that are easy for students to understand.
The training system is a core component of all modern MPS-based training systems. By integrating additional MPS system modules now or at a later point in time, you can create a larger network of systems with a more complex process. You can then add training content that cannot be modeled using the three basic stations. What's more, the training system provides the foundation for various add-on packages. You can seamlessly integrate new topics such as IT security in industrial environments, energy management in industrial systems, AC drive and frequency converters, machine safety, and mobile robotics. The ergonomic design of the training system ensures efficient and non-tiring working and learning.
- Networking of multiple stations, control systems, and I/O units with an MES-centered software environment via network-based protocols (OPC-UA, IO-Link, Profinet, TCP-IP, Node-RED)
- Programming of industrial touch panels and familiarity with modern human/machine interfaces such as augmented reality and web interfaces
- Familiarity with RFID and network technology, and intelligent IO-Link-based sensors
- Learning about new business models using industrial IoT retrofitting by means of a webcam and microcomputer equipped with artificial intelligence and machine learning algorithms
- Production of customized products using production orders developed through an online store
- In addition to the basics of mechatronics and automation technology, the system offers quick, simple, and broad access to the most important Industry 4.0 topics
- The system's high degree of modularity is the basis for a clear and manageable learning pathway made up of modules, from stations through to a software-controlled network of systems
- Comprehensive training documentation splits up complex topics into small steps and learning units, allowing structured yet flexible teaching
- The system offers a simple way for students to develop understanding of topics such as HMI, network technology, RFID, smart sensors, and service-based software structures
- The training process is supported by modern media such as QR codes for provision of information and interaction with the training system based on augmented reality
- Operating pressure: 600 kPa (6 bar)
- Power supply: 24 V DC/4.5 A
- Square/round workpiece dimensions: max. 40 mm
- Dimensions (W x D x H): approx. 1400 x 700 x 1705 mm