Equipment set TP 101+ from Festo Didactic is an extension to equipment set TP 101. TP 101+ contains components with specified, realistic defects. It enables pneumatic circuits to be constructed with the TP 101 and individual components to be replaced by defective ones. Using our experience in industrial environments, we were able to define typical error patterns for pneumatic systems and adopt these with components contained in equipment set TP 101+.
Systematic troubleshooting and professional error elimination are an essential part of everyday operating life in many jobs in the fields of mechanics, mechatronics and electrical engineering. In order to acquire a skills in this area via a structured procedure that takes into account safety aspects, it important that systematic troubleshooting is both learned and practised.
Key to this are:
- Understanding circuits and discerning any non-conformities
- Delimiting/precluding fault areas
- Locating and rectifying faults
This procedure assumes specialist knowledge such as modes of operation of individual components and their system limits.
Cylinder with worn piston seal
One example of a defective component is a double-acting cylinder with a worn piston seal. This defect may be due to damage to the piston rod or dirt ingress . The defect leads to the cylinder leaking via the piston. Conspicuous symptoms result in compressed air losses and a lower cylinder force. Pressure sensors or force sensors may not switch, which can lead to interruptions to operation cycles or process safety being put at risk.
Another example is a clogged filter in the on-off valve with pressure regulator (service unit). Filters are used to protect upstream components from contamination. If a large amount of contamination enters the system via the compressor's intake tract, these filters can become clogged. This applies in particular to micro filters. The defect results in increased flow resistance and consequently restricted flow, which in turn has a throttling effect. The inspection and replacement of such filters is a routine maintenance task in industry.
Building on from Basic Level Pneumatics, the Advanced Level contains eight components appropriate for equipment set TP 101. The possible troubleshooting tasks are aimed at all jobs involving maintenance and repair activities. Special measuring equipment is not assumed since all symptoms can be observed and are therefore visible. Error patterns can also be quantified using measuring equipment such as a flowmeter however.
A description is included for each defective component describing both its function and the fault. A flow chart, which guides learners systematically from observation of the symptom to the repair task, is also included.
- Design and simulation using FluidSIM
- eLearning course: Pneumatics
- Textbook: Basic principles of pneumatics and electropneumatics
- Cutaway model case
Accessories, also order:
- Aluminium profile plate, 1100 x 700 mm (Order no. 159411)
- Compressor (Order no. 091030)
- Double-acting cylinder, defective (Order no. 5042759)
- Pressure gauge, defective (Order no. 4977328)
- Filter sleeves for on-off valve with filter regulator, clogged (Order no. 8064260)
- 3/2-way valve with pushbutton actuator, normally closed, defective (Order no. 4978036)
- 5/2-way bistable valve, defective (Order no. 4977795)
- 5/3-way valve, mid-position pressurized (Order no. 576305)
- Flow control valve (Order no. 193972)
- Silencer M5, clogged (Order no. 4977506)